Saturday, January 26, 2019

"To the Void" - A Poem

~ Written Feb 26, 2019 ~

To the nights when I feel lonely,
When the floorboards creak and moan;
To the days that make my bones ache
And my heart feel cold like stone;
To the memories that break my heart

Yet somehow bring me joy;
To the pieces of my brain that trick
And blind my very eyes;
To the cold and hardened picture of the future that I see,
To the brokenness and heartbreak that I feel surrounding me,
To the voices in my mind that scream my failures inside,
To the torrent of deceptive thoughts that leave me in denial,
To the lifeless chill and emptiness that drains me to the core,
To the endless search for things that just are not worth searching for-
I say to all these things that wish to tear me all apart,
My Jesus is enough for me, greater than my lifeless heart.
The broken cells residing in my head have no authority,
Just as lost piano keys can’t kill a written melody.
And though my head may scream at me
To drown in what I’ve done;
Though blood goes pounding through my heart
And I can feel it in my gut;
Depression and anxiety,
They think they’ve got the best of me-
But I know this, and they do not,
‘Tis by my King that I’ve been bought.
My life is now my own no more;
My sickness He Himself has borne.
I’ll see Him face to face one day,
And all my pain He’ll wipe away.
I trust His goodness, not my chains;
The thoughts that try to kill my brain,
The searing, roaring feeling-pain.
Will I see healing in this life?
Perhaps I won’t, but through the night
My darkened path He will alight
At least enough to set me right.
Now I have hope that though this pain
May sting and hurt like acid rain,
This life is not what matters most,
It’s what comes next in which I hope.
My pain may not end now or soon,
Yet I can cling to what is true.
Take heart, my friends, and have no fear;
The peace of Christ is ever near.

No comments:

Post a Comment